Lemon Poppy Seed CookiesBy Maya Moscovich on June 25th, 2012 Posted in Cakes and Cookies
I’m sure most of you know Starbuck’s famous lemon-poppy seed loaf. I love that cake! It’s one of my favorites.
While organizing my spices I bumped into a bag of poppy seeds and so I decided to make the famous loaf. I looked through my recipes and couldn’t find it, but I was still determined I am going to make something of these poppy seeds. I couldn’t care less that it’s 10pm on a weekday. My mind was set.
So I brainstormed for a couple of minutes and then I decided I’d come up with a recipe of my own. A new one, that will give me a similar taste to the famous loaf in much less time. And this is how these cookies were born 🙂
They are really good, easy and fast to make and have that yummy lemony flavor combined with the poppy seeds. Simply great. Or as we say in Hebrew “Mashu-Mashu” 🙂
- 2 ¼ Cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ Cups brown sugar
- 5 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon Zest -from ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- In a mixer bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and poppy seeds.
- Melt the butter in saucepan.
- Add melted butter, vanilla extract, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest into the flour mix and mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop 1 teaspoon at a time and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place the cookies about 2cm apart from each other. Wet your hands if dough sticks a bit.
- Gently press each cookie with your fingers until slightly flattened.
- Place in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cookies cool before removing from sheet and keep in sealed jar.
Update and disclosure: I also entered this recipe to the 2nd annual cookie contest (Christmas In July) sponsored by “Eat In Eat Out Magazine” (www.eatineatout.ca).
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)