Homemade Mac & Cheeseon November 12th, 2012 Posted in Home Made Cooking
The easy solution for any lunch or dinner with the kids is Mac & Cheese. I have to confess that I’ve never made Mac & Cheese myself. I always have these kits with the macaroni and cheese powder you mix together and serve. I do buy the organic ones with no food colorings and all the nasty stuff but still…it’s from a box. So today I asked the kids what they want for dinner and the answer was Mac & Cheese, so I go to my cupboard, open it and find out that I’m out of Mac & Cheese kits. The kids were disappointed so I had to act. I read a few articles with tips on how to make cheesy sauces and came up with my own cheese sauce for the macaroni I had. We ended up with a very creamy and cheesy sauce and the best part was that I was able to use our favorite rice pasta. Everyone were happy and the kids said that they are not having that “box Mac & Cheese” again, I guess that says it all does it.
- 400 Grams Pasta (preferably small and short)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (I used 18% coffee cream)
- 1 Cup Grated Cheese
- 3 tbsp White Wine
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the pack, drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter
- Once butter melted, add the flour gradually while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Whisk for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream in the flour mix and whisk constantly for about 7 minutes. You should have a smooth and creamy mix.
- Add the wine, nutmeg and salt and whisk.
- Add the cheese; whisk it in and once melted turn the heat off.
- Pour the cheese sauce onto the macaroni and mix well. You can heat over low heat while mixing if macaroni got too cold.