Cheese and Olives Savory Sconeson February 7th, 2013 Posted in Baked Goodies
Saturday morning. I wake up, make myself a cup of coffee (that is, if my dear husband didn’t already make one for me), go over my emails, Facebook, Instagram, check to see that the kids are still somewhere around and then I start feeling hungry.
But really, I have no desire to make something too complicated and I want it to be ready as fast as possible because as I said, I’m hungry.
When I want to make something sweet and fast I sometimes make scones, because it’s just mixing the ingredients, piling on the baking sheet and popping into the oven for 15 minutes. So this time, I decided to go with the same idea, why not? Except this time the scones are savory! With cheese and olives and the truth is you can add whatever you want to them whether its anchovies, mushrooms, greens, corn, you name it.
These were of course served with fresh garden salad and a few more salads and a nice slice of butter in them, YUM!
Good for brunch, breakfast, entertaining, a romantic event, Valentines and anything really.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ Cup Grated Cheese
- ½ cup Pitted Olives – Halved
- 1 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 220C (or 450F)
- In a mixer bowl, mix the flour, butter, baking powder and milk until well combined.
- Add the olives and cheese and stir until evenly combined and you get a ball of dough.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and place on a floured surface, sprinkle a little bit flour on top to ease the kneading; knead and flatten until it’s about ¾ inch (or 1½ cm) thick.
- Using a small cup or a round cookie cutter, cut circles and place then onto the parchment paper covered baking sheet. Make sure they are not too close to each other to allow rising.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes (depending on your oven) and remove from oven once golden brown.