Gluten Free Chocolate Pumpkin Seed BitesBy Maya Moscovich on May 25th, 2013 Posted in Cakes and Cookies
When I think spring I think nature, sun, flowers, blossom, fresh, life, new and much more. But then I look out the window here in Halifax and I can’t help but thinking gray, rain, wet and windy. No, I’m not pessimistic by nature, don’t get me wrong but seriously, how many sunless days can one person take? The sun must be on its way here by now.
So what do I do to shake off the dreary weather? I think positive, I smile, I look at the beautiful sunflower bouquet my husband bought me yesterday and I go to the “Halifax Seaport Farmers Market“!
The market is indoors so once you go in you can’t help but focusing on the beauty and variety inside rather than on the gray and wet outside. I love everything about the Seaport Farmers Market, the atmosphere, the music, the people, the fresh produce, the variety, smell and of course the inspiration I get from it. Luckily this month I get to translate the inspiration into a recipe and enter a contest. What contest? Well, the “Halifax Food Bloggers“ in association with the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market are having a recipe contest called “Farm Market Table” and as a challenge fanatic I just have to enter. What I need to do is use fresh Farmers Market Produce to create an original recipe. I know, it sounds easy, but believe me, once you see the variety the Farmers Market has to offer, you’ll be confused. So I went for the easy and fast recipe; why? Because to be honest, that’s how I like it J and besides if I can create something sweet and yummy from fresh ingredients that the kids are going to love, I’m in.
I decided to make Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Bites! Sounds yummy right? Well, you’ll be surprised to know that this recipe calls for 3 ingredients only and uses only 1 mixing bowl! It calls for eggs which I got from the “Hill Crest Farm” booth at the market, Cacao Powder which I got from the “Rawthentic Chocolate” booth at the market and finally for the main ingredient which is the sugar and cinnamon coated pumpkin seeds (roasted right there!) from “Maritime Gourmet Nut Company”.
And I figured that with the weather we got this past week, a few chocolate pumpkin seed bites with a cup of hot cocoa will do the job. I was right.
- 145gr Sugar Coated Pumpkin Seeds (Can be substituted with 145gr pumpkin seeds and ⅓ cup sugar)
- 1 Egg White
- ½ tsp Cocoa Powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk the egg white and cocoa powder with a fork/ whisker until even and smooth (if you substituted the sugar coated pumpkin seeds with seeds and sugar this is where you add the sugar)
- Add in the pumpkin seeds and mix together until seeds are fully coated
- Scoop the mix with a teaspoon and place on the baking sheet
- Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool completely before removing from baking sheet
Update and disclosure: I also entered this recipe to the 2nd annual cookie contest (Christmas In July) sponsored by “Eat In Eat Out Magazine” (www.eatineatout.ca).
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)