National BBQ Day and My Grilled Lemon Zucchinion June 28th, 2013 Posted in Tips and News
FBC is working together with Meal Exchange to promote National BBQ Day, how wonderful is that?!
You’re probably sitting there starring at the screen thinking “what the heck”, well here’s what; Meal Exchange is a national youth-driven, registered charity that engages, educates and mobilizes youth to work with their communities to alleviate hunger locally, achieve food security, and develop solutions that attain sustainable food systems. And every year they celebrate National BBQ Day!
What is National BBQ Day?
Well, that’s when hundreds of grills across Canada are being fired up in support of Meal Exchange’s (now 4th) annual National BBQ Day which is a backyard celebration of local food. The first and only national event aimed at raising the profile of locally sourced foods, National BBQ Day encourages all Canadians to host a BBQ in their own backyard (or deck) with family and friends, using as much local food as possible; so if you are sitting there thinking this is awesome, you can actually participate by having a BBQ with friends and family and register your event on the National BBQ Day website (HERE).
You can then share your National BBQ Day experience through social media (#NationalBBQDay) and even win prizes (goes without saying that you will raise awareness of local foods available and where people across Canada can get them).
So now that I blabbed all that, the only last bit of information left to spill is WHEN.
Well, mark your calendars, Saturday, July 13th, 2013.
As for me, I’m pretty sure I’ll be around to fire up the grill. It’s summer and if you’ve been reading my posts for the past year or so, my favorite accessory in the summertime is my BBQ!
I decided to re-post an oldie but a goodie this time and remind everyone that there are vegetarian grilling options J. Here’s a wonderful recipe for Grilled Lemon Zucchinis. I can already taste them. Yum!
- 3 Medium Sized Zucchinis (you can use large ones too)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ lemon – squeezed (you need the juice)
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt to taste
- Optional – 1 tsp Chopped Dill
- Slice the Zucchinis length wise. Every slice needs to be about ½ cm thick (or ⅓ inch)
- Prepare the marinade: Mix all other ingredients well together until combined.
- Pour the marinade over the sliced zucchinis and make sure they are all covered in it.
- Place marinated zucchinis over a preheated BBQ wire rack; Heat over medium heat, covered, for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Zucchinis are ready when they are semi-soft.
Original Post: Grilled Lemon Zucchinis