Bite Size Spelt Flour Mini Bunson July 25th, 2013 Posted in Baked Goodies
Seriously weather…this is not what I call summer! It’s the end of July and all we had for the past week is grey, damp and rainy. I’m supposed to be eating salads, fruits, veggies, cheese platters and light food and snacks but instead all I want to do is put my sweater on and have soup – seriously??
But enough about the weather, let’s talk about food. Last week I wanted to make something special for our Saturday brunch, but I woke up late (can I get a woot-woot) and had no inspiration whatsoever. So I decided to go with whatever I bump into in the fridge. Tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, so I made 2 salads; but then I figured no one will eat just salads (except for me), we need bread, something fast!
So I put some ingredients together, played with the dough and voila! Got my own batch of mini bite sized spelt buns. They were a hit! In fact, out of the 30 I made none were left.
They were so good, and we all kept on snacking on them. After we were done brunch, the kids decided they want dessert so they made their own dessert, with the same mini buns. They just added some Nutella to some and jam to others and enjoyed their own bite sized sweet buns.
So they can be served as savory but also as sweet. Did I already say I just love these? And with the added benefit of low gluten values they’ll be a hit on our next brunch as well.
- 2 Cups Spelt Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ¾ Cup Soft Goat Cheese (Can be replaced with cream cheese)
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil – Chopped (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F (200C)
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer bowl and stir well until combined
- Sprinkle the dough with a little spelt flour to ease removal from bowl and avoid stickiness.
- Place on floured surface and using a rolling pin flatten the dough into a ½ inch thick leaf. Be careful, don’t flatten too thin.
- Using a round or square cookie cutter (you can also simply cut into squares using a pizza roller) cut shapes and place on a parchment paper layered baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes