Honey Tahini Spelt CookiesBy Maya Moscovich on August 2nd, 2013 Posted in Cakes and Cookies
Trying to switch ingredients to create a healthier version is not always easy but it is always challenging – I love challenges.
When I say challenging I mean that the all purpose flour needs to be replaced with spelt flour or gluten free flour, sugar with honey or other natural sweeteners, oil/fat with natural and preferably non dairy oil/fat substitutes and so on.
The thing is that it may sound easy but not all ingredients behave the same as their substitutes. For example, Spelt flour has a low level of Gluten and as such will often result in crumbly or dry cookies, cakes and breads. It also requires fewer liquids as it doesn’t absorb as much as regular flour.
Sugar can be substituted with honey but honey is sweeter and it’s liquid and as such will need to be used in smaller amounts. So you see, it’s a whole religion this healthy living thing. But at the end of the day it’s worth it because everyone gets to enjoy yummy cookies that cause MUCH less damage to our body.
I’m not here to preach for healthy living but I do think that we all need to be open- minded and try new things. I think we need to be more aware of what the products on the supermarket shelves are made of and I think it’ll be best for everyone to just generally treat their body the best they can.
I just recently found out that for children for example – their nutrition by age 5 will determine their base for growing and developing. So although my kids are now older than 5, I still think that if not for ourselves, we do need to take care of our children and provide them with the best building blocks we can, so they grow strong, healthy and aware.
And now, I’ll stop being so serious and tell you that these cookies are AWESOME! Honey, Tahini, Spelt! So good! These turn nice and soft and addictive. Melt in your mouth round pleasures.
- 125gr Butter – Cubed (at room temperature)
- ⅓ Cup Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Raw Tahini
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1½ Cups Spelt Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Walnuts – Optional
- Mix the butter and honey together until well blended and add the tahini, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the mix and stir until all the ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 370F (180C)
- After 45 minutes scoop ½ teaspoon at a time and roll into balls. Press a walnut into the center of each cookie (optional).
- Place the balls about 1 inch apart from each other on a parchment paper layered baking pan and into the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Update and disclosure: I also entered this recipe to the 2nd annual cookie contest (Christmas In July) sponsored by “Eat In Eat Out Magazine” (www.eatineatout.ca).
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)