Cheerios Chocolate Squareson August 15th, 2013 Posted in Sweets
I bought a pack of ‘Cheerios’. Not just a pack, a family size pack.
When we opened the pack and gave the kids a bowl with the cereal for breakfast the reactions were either “mommy it’s not sweet” or “This tastes horrible”.
I was surprised, because it’s not the first time I’ve bought ‘Cheerios’ but it is the first time the kids don’t like it. I looked at the pack and found out that I bought the unsweetened ones. Great! Now what? I’ve got 2 big bags of ‘Cheerios’ laying around and 2 unhappy kids.
I decided that ‘Cheerios’ are as good as any rice cereal and that they’ll make a fantastic snack. I’m thinking ‘Rice Krispies’ style snack but the rice krispie squares have corn syrup in them which I just recently found out is one of the worst things you can serve to a child, or to any person as a matter of fact.
I love the combination of cereal and chocolate and so, that’s exactly what I decided to do.
The following recipe is an easy one, it’s made of 2-3 ingredients and it’s super sweet. It’ll also start melting if you store it outside the fridge but nevertheless, the kids just loved it! And me? I just saved a bunch of ‘Cheerios’ so apparently – I’m their hero.
- 3 cups Unsweetened Cheerios
- 300gr Semi-Sweet Chocolate (I used dark chocolate with 51% cacao)
- 100gr White Chocolate (optional)
- Prepare a 12in X 6in (any size close to this will work) baking pan and layer with parchment paper
- Place the Cheerios in a large mixing bowl
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate over low heat (or in the microwave) while stirring consistently to avoid burning.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cheerios and mix until the cereal is fully coated.
- Place the mix inside the prepared baking pan and using your hands or a large spoon, flatten the mix into one even layer in the pan (I used parchment paper on top as well to avoid my hands sticking to the mix)
- Place inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes (if you are skipping the next step, keep in the fridge for a few hours until the whole mix is hard)
- Melt the white chocolate the same way and drizzle over the chocolate covered cheerios layer.
- Place in the fridge for about 2-3 hours
- After 2-3 hours remove from fridge and using a big sharp knife, cut into 12-16 squares; don’t cut too small as the squares will fall apart.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge