Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese and Spinach Quicheon October 15th, 2013 Posted in Baked Goodies | Home Made Cooking
Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated this week, and although we never had a thanksgiving dinner at our house before, we figured why not use this as an excuse for dinner with friends? I mean, regardless of any religion or belief, we ARE supposed to be thankful for what we are fortunate enough to have, so we planned dinner and invited friends over.
Now, although I do have some experience in the kitchen (hehe) I had no clue what to make. I knew I wanted it to be something that symbolized autumn. I also knew I don’t like pumpkin that much so pumpkin pie for dessert was out of the question, but SAVORY pumpkin pie, now that was a great option.
Again, I have no experience with sweet or savory pumpkin dishes so I had to use what god (and my parents) gave me – my head.
I came up with a super delicious butternut squash quiche, with goat cheese, spinach and good stuff.
I used Spelt flour to minimize gluten values but you can most definitely use all purpose flour and it’ll still turn out great.
I was surprised to see how successful this recipe turned out to be. And not it not only tasted great but it also looked so colorful and Autumn-ish, just like I wanted it to be.
I’m no longer a stranger to butternut squash, next challenge please.
- 500gr Cubed (1 square inch cubes) Butternut Squash
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable/ Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup Boiled/ thawed and chopped Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Spelt or All Purpose Flour
- ½ Tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
- 4 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 2 Garlic Cloves – Minced
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- ½ Cup Soft Goat Cheese (chèvre) – Crumbled into medium chunks
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and layer baking pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl mix the squash cubes with the oil until fully covered and place on baking sheet in one layer
- Place inside preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cubes are a bit tender and golden
- Lower oven temperature to 350F (175C) and oil spray (or butter) and flour a 9 inch round pie pan (or Pyrex)
- Layer the baked squash in one layer on the bottom of the pie pan
- Place the goat cheese crumbs in between squash cubes in the pan and continue to prepare quiche batter
- In a medium bowl mix in the rest of the ingredients until fully combined. When fully combined pour batter on top of the squash and goat cheese layer to fully cover it.
- Place inside preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until quiche top is nice and brown and the quiche is solid and stable when you touch it.