Pizza Blanca With Spelt Flour Cruston November 26th, 2013 Posted in Baked Goodies | Home Made Cooking
If there’s anything my family will never say “NO” to it’s pizza.
The other week I was thinking of making homemade pizza with spelt crust – our favorite, but then, one look at my daughter was enough to understand that this good ol’ traditional pizza is not going to happen.
It’s that season again; when it’s too warm inside and too cold and breezy outside.
The result: A child with super dry lips the size of her face
The problem: The pizza sauce burns her sore lips
The objective: Making pizza so we can all enjoy it
The obstacle: Tomato sauce a.k.a. Pizza Sauce
The solution: Pizza Blanca
Pizza Blanca is basically pizza with no pizza sauce on it. I must admit that it’s different and kind of weird at first, but after the first bite you get it – it’s really good.
Being able to prepare this pizza with no actual pizza sauce has allowed my little girl to eat her slice(s) with no problem at all. Another nice thing about this is that you can prepare whatever dipping sauce you want on the side and enjoy it exactly the way you like it. I made homemade garlic dip and it was phenomenal.
So let me share this recipe with you before the drool covers my entire keyboard.
- 500gr Spelt Flour
- 1 Tbsp Dry Yeast
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable/ Canola Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves – Minced
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Lukewarm Water
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Your favorite toppings
- Mix all the ingredients (except the toppings) in a mixer bowl using the kneading attachment.
- Take a bit of oil in your hands and knead the dough into a ball (in the bowl). You will now have the dough covered with oil in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and let the dough rest and rise for 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Prepare a baking sheet or a pizza tray covered with parchment paper.
- Flatten the dough with your hands directly on your parchment covered baking sheet until it is about ½ inch thick.
- Add the cheese and toppings onto the flattened dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Serve with your favorite dip.