Gluten Free Bell Peppers and Goat Cheese Corn Muffinson December 10th, 2013 Posted in Baked Goodies
I would like to start this post with a rant and go ahead and say it: I don’t like preparing the kids’ lunchboxes! not on a daily basis. Does this make me an awful mom? I hope not.
I guess I’m the only one to blame. I have such high expectations and standards I set to myself, that with time, I find it hard to answer my own expectations.
Last year, I decided to minimize the gluten in my kids’ food. I decided that they will no longer be taking just sandwiches to school because it’s just not nutritious enough. And when they are taking sandwiches, I make sure it’s homemade bread with low to no gluten.
And now, here I am complaining about it, Typical.
I can’t wait until they are old enough to make their own lunches. Does this ever happen? because to be honest, I don’t remember myself making my own school lunches. And even if I do get them to make their own food, I guarantee that I will be standing there, watching like a hawk to make sure they are eating healthy. So like I said at the beginning, it’s my fault, my insanity, and I’m the only one to blame.
But really, rants aside, I find myself full of satisfaction most of the times I prepare their lunches because I was able to either use up leftovers or come up with something new and delicious.
This time, it was the second option – something new and delicious. and this time it’s gluten free corn muffins, with bell peppers and goat cheese. Perfect for the lunchbox and the over protective mom – that would probably be me.
- ½ Cup Cornmeal
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Milk + 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- ½ Cup Finely diced Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp Dry Basil
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and oil spray 10 muffin cups (I used silicone ones)
- Place the cornmeal, salt, flour, Xanthan and baking soda in a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Prepare ½ cup milk, add the vinegar into the milk and set aside.
- Add the egg and oil into the flour mix and finally add the milk with vinegar and mix well until combined.
- Add in the peppers, goat cheese and basil, fold into the mix until evenly combined in the batter.
- Divide the entire mix into 10 muffin cups and bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven.