Fresh Salmon in Herbs and Walnutson December 21st, 2013 Posted in Home Made Cooking
A few years ago, after deciding we are moving to Canada we had a few months in which we lives at my parents’ house. It wasn’t easy let me tell ya, it’s pretty hard leaving your fully independent lifestyle behind and moving to your parents’ house with your family.
My parents were amazing and we are grateful and forever will be, for having the privilege for this temporary solution, for having the safety net we needed at the time. Other than having a free babysitter 24/7 (which was awesome) I also had the opportunity to help my out here and there. If it was cleaning the house,. tidying up, helping with chores and errands and cooking.
Now, cooking may sound like an easy chore for a food lover and blogger like me, but making food and having my dad actually enjoy it, now that is a whole different league.
One day when my mom was away working late in one of her many jobs, it started getting late and I knew somebody needs to make dinner soon; that somebody was me.
I found Salmon fillet and decided to top it up with greens and bake it. So I chopped and I cut, I grated and I mixed and 35 minutes later I served my Salmon with herbs to the table, anxiously waiting to see the reaction on my dad’s face.
Imagine how happy I was when he said it’s really good and that I should make sure I leave a copy of the recipe for my mom. That night I knew – This recipe was a keeper. And I’ve been making it ever since. It always impresses my guests and really it involves minimum work and maximum flavor.
True, it’s not dietetic but it’s full of greens – It’s good for ya 🙂
- 1 Large Fresh Salmon Fillet (I used 1kg Fillet)
- ½ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 ½ Cup Chopped Parsley
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Oregano
- ½ cup Chopped Basil
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Finely Diced
- Lemon Zest from ½ Lemon
- ½ Lemon - Juiced (use same half)
- Lemon Slices from ½ Lemon (the 2nd half of the lemon)
- ¾ Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- ¾ Tbsp coarse Salt (Kosher Salt)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Prepare a deep baking dish (could be Pyrex or any other pan that will fit the fish size)
- In a medium bowl combine the chopped cilantro, parsley, oregano, basil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and walnuts. Mix well just like you would with a salad.
- Place the Salmon fillet in the baking dish and completely cover it with the herb mix.
- Carefully pour the whipping cream on top, pouring from one end of the fish to the other, covering the entire fish.
- Sprinkle the kosher salt on top of the herbs. Sprinkle evenly on top of the whole fish.
- Place the lemon slices on top for decoration.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on the fish size and thickness).
** Decorate with cherry tomatoes and you'll have the perfect Christmas themes dish**