Easy Spelt BiscottiBy Maya Moscovich on January 15th, 2014 Posted in Cakes and Cookies
Biscotti. Biscotti. Biscotti.
It’s almost as if you say it enough times you’ll sound more sophisticated right? especially saying it with an Italian accent 🙂
I’m not sure why, but lately I’m seeing many biscotti recipes and mouth watering photos, of course it had to take a toll and here I am, writing about the biscotti I made.
But not just ANY biscotti, these are made with Spelt flour and honey, which means they’re kind of, sort of better for you if you need another reason to eat them.
I just used (again) whatever I had at home and so can you, you can sub the walnuts with a different kind of nut and the dates with your favorite chopped dried fruit, how amazingly convenient is that?
My biscotti also have a lemony aroma with a hint of cinnamon. the more the merrier I say.
Just keep in mind that Spelt flour is more crumbly than all purpose flour due to its lower gluten, so when you slice the biscotti, use a bread knife and make sure you don’t slice too thin.
And now, I’ll go away and leave you with this recipe.
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ Lemon - Juiced
- Zest from ½ lemon (same lemon you juiced)
- 1 ⅓ Cup Spelt Flour (175gr)
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Walnuts (whole or halved)
- ¼ Cup Whole Almonds (non salted or roasted)
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pitted Dates
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the honey with the vanilla, egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, walnuts, almonds and dates and mix everything well together until fully combined.
- Empty the bowl into a loaf pan covered with parchment paper.
- Smooth the batter using wet hands. Smooth and straighten the top.
- Place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and take out of the loaf pan. Let the cake cool completely before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C) and prepare a large flat baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Once cool, Slice the biscotti cake into 1cm thick slices and place the slices on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until slices are dry.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)