Gooey Whole Wheat Cheese Rollson March 23rd, 2014 Posted in Baked Goodies
My son’s favorite phrase is “cheese n’ stuff”, which is fine because really this is what life’s all about – Cheese and stuff, isn’t it? 🙂
But it’s not just a phrase, he really likes cheese too, all kinds of it, if fact – any kind of it, and that’s why I enjoy making all things cheese twice as much.
I always just wait for him to ask me what’s for dinner or lunch, or what a certain dish is made of, just so I can proudly answer: “Cheese and stuff”
So a couple of weeks ago, instead of making just plain rolls for our brunch, I decided to go cheesy and add some grated cheese which will make the rolls gooey on the inside and delicious on the outside – such a perfect combination. And it was indeed perfect. None were left after brunch and that says a lot.
So these are rolls made from whole wheat flour with added cheese inside, they’re soft, delicious and taste best while still warm. You can definitely reheat them so don’t worry if you didn’t make it to the first batch or arrived late for dinner when these were served – I got you covered.
- 500gr Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbsp White Sugar
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅓ Cup Milk
- ¾ Cup Warm Water + 2 Tbsp (you may not need these 2 Tbsp)
- 1 Cup Grated Cheese
- 3 Tbsp Butter - Melted
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and milk in a mixer bowl and add half the water and mix, using kneading attachment, on low speed.
- Gradually drizzle in the rest of the water until you get an even dough that’s soft and not sticky. If it is still hard/dry, add a bit water (1 Tbsp at a time).
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly .floured surface
- Divide into 10-12 pieces (depending on the roll size you want - I made 10) and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place each ball in your hand and using your fingers, create a bowl shape.
- Place 1 Tbsp filling (grated cheese) inside the dough “bowl” and close tight back into a ball shape. Make sure you tighten the bottom so it won’t open while baking.
- Place each filled ball in a parchment paper layered baking sheet, with the smooth side facing up (the side where you pinched the opening to close into a ball should now be the bottom of the roll).
- Repeat with the other dough balls.
- Let the rolls rest in the baking sheet for about 45 minutes until they rise (about 1 ½ -2 times the size at the beginning).
- Preheat oven to 375F/ 180C and melt 3 Tbsp butter for brushing
- After 45 minutes, gently brush each roll with the melted butter (you can also sprinkle with any leftover grated cheese on top)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve fresh and warm.