It’s always a good idea to have puff pastry at home. You can always thaw it a couple of hours before you use it and the best thing is that you can actually make anything from it, whether sweet or salty – It’ll always work.
One of our favorites is puffed pastry with mushrooms.I roll the puff pastry and flatten it on a floured surface and then I place the desired stuffing along one side of the dough and I roll it. Finally I make sure it is closed tight and if it’s not,I tighten it as I do not want any stuffing to come out of it.
To make the mushroom stuffing you will need:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Mushrooms – sliced
Salt & Pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Here’s how it’s done:
**Preheat oven to 200C (400F)**
1. On a hot frying pan, heat the oil and then add the diced onion to it. Once the onion is golden, add the sliced mushrooms.
2. Stir until you see the mushroom fluids and then add the pepper, salt and nutmeg. Stir until softened and almost no fluids.
3. Add about 3 tbsp bread crumbs – this will help in holding the mushrooms together in the pastry.
4. Cool the stuffing and once cool, place on pastry and roll.
5. Brush pastry roll with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame.
6. Place in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden.
NOW – What’s the tip you ask?
Well… If you take some goat cheese (you know, the roll of soft goat cheese) and cut it into medallions (slice it) and place it on the flattened dough BEFORE you place the stuffing on it – Well….you just made a gourmet dish! 🙂
I tried it last week and it was a hit!
If you want to leave the pastry Parve, you can always just stuff with mushrooms and leave the cheese out.
It’s really good either way!